Celebrate the spirit of the holidays by giving to someone else! We will carol along the 6300 Block starting at 5PM and then gather at the Johnson House for the basket give-away and refreshments.
August 17th, Our Community School Supply Give Away turned out great! 140 Backpacks stuffed with goodies to the brim was given away. As we grow this event each year – we hope to serve the community and their needs.
Those that came to the Concord School House & Upper Burial Ground were not only grateful to receive the backpacks, they also got a quick tour of the one-room Concord School House built in the 1800s.
We also had a visit from Councilwoman Cindy Bass.
9:45 AM – Libation and Drumming Ceremony – Led by Ausar Auset, Corner of Germantown Avenue & Wister Street – First Protest Against Slavery Marker
10:00 AM – “FREEDOM WALK” Walk from the Historic Marker designating the “1st 6300 Entire Block Directory – May 13 Protest Against Slavery” – led by the Resurrected Order 1997 Buffalo Soldiers 9th and 10th Calvary, Ausar Auset and the Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church Youth Trinity Drum Line
10:00 AM – Panel Discussion: William Still’s Journal C manuscript and the Underground Railroad – At the Historic Germantown Mennonite Meetinghouse – 6133 Germantown Ave.
- A humanities panel discussion will present the experiences of African American families escaping to freedom and the networks in the Philadelphia-area Underground Railroad that supported the anti-slavery movement.
- The discussion will be facilitated by Dr. Craig Stutman and include presenting scholars: Christopher Densmore, Curator, Swarthmore College, Charlotte Blake Alston, Documentary Narrator, and Phillip Seitz, Curator.
- For more information view the website
10:45AM – Germantown Town Hall – Tour Civil War Hospital & Hidden City Festival Site – 5928 Germantown Avenue
Johnson House – 6306 Germantown Ave
12:30, 2:00, 3:30 PM – “Bearing Witness: Johnson House Speaks Through Inquiry and Performance” featuring Germaine Ingram, Leah Stein and John Phillips
Concord School House – 6309 Germantown Ave
1:00 PM – Meet Henry “Box” Brown at the Concord School House to hear his unique story of freedom – 6309 Germantown Ave
Along 6300 Germantown Avenue
11:00 AM – 3:00 PM – Preventive Health and Community Information Fair
11:00 AM – 3:00 PM Exhibits/Films/Games
- Addy’s World: Life of child during slavery – 6353 Germantown Ave
- The Songhai Princess Movie – continuous showing – 6353 Germantown Ave
- My Slave Sister Myself Film – 6325 Germantown Ave
- Henry Box Brown Guessing Contest – Up Mid Block
12:00 – 4:00 PM – Cultural & Historic Marketplace
Main Stage: At Pomona Street intersection
MC – Howard Cupit
Small Stage: At 6370 Germantown
Brand New Life Christian Center – 6301 Germantown Ave
3:05 PM – “Life & Times of Omar ibn Sayyid” Slave Reenactment – presented by Living History Heritage Project/Images of the Motherland
12:00 PM – 4:00 PM – Historic Germantown Site Tours
- Cliveden – 6401 Germantown Ave
- Concord School House – 6309 Germantown Ave
Time flying already. As you can see, Streetscape work has been completed on the east side – new sidewalks and lamp posts. Hopefully, the west side will be completed by early Spring so that we can get the planters all freshened up before Mt. Airy Day.
As an update, we have a few business losses and some properties for sale. I’ve added a page where you can keep current on available properties, so that you can help us bring in the businesses that you would like and we would embrace. In the meantime, thank you for your continued support of the alliance and our members.
Holiday Basket Give-a-way
sponsored by the
6300 Block of Germantown Alliance
What can we do to make the holiday special for some local families?
Join the Alliance. Donate dry goods, canned goods or monetary donations*. Two area churches will submit the names of two local families in need to receive Holiday Baskets.
Donations can be dropped off at:
Johnson House Historic Site A& D Hair Salon
6306 Germantown Avenue 6331 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144 Philadelphia, PA 19144
Celebrate the spirit of the Holidays by giving to someone else!
The 6300 Germantown Avenue Business Alliance
will support our kids as they return to school!
Saturday, August 18, 2012 from 10 am to 2 pm
The Concord School House
6309 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144
Free school supplies will be given to 150 children
First come, first served!
Parents and children must come together!
Be sure to check out our upcoming plans for Juneteenth. Interested vendors, participants, speakers, and volunteers should send an email to email@example.com and continue to check our website for the latest updates
The year is bringing a lot of change to 6300 Block Germantown.As of March 2012
- The Johnson House just hosted The Good Raised Up. A wonderful musical and artistic depiction of the history of the Johnson House. Some background and comments – thegoodraisedup.blogspot.com/
- We have several new businesses that have come in the past 6 months: churches, hair salons, and a chiropractor. I would love more retail, if you know anyone.
- Cleanup is in progress for one of our vacant sites
- The City Streetscape Plan might actually happen this year. Recent updates from Dept of Commerce states that the contract has been awarded.
- Several properties have had their facades refresh
- Plans are ongoing for monthly Historical programs on the block and submission of a grant proposal for a Heritage Plan
- We are seeking committee members to help with the plans for the Annual Juneteenth event which will be held June 16th.